Please note that information on my blog is mainly pertaining to the 80s Coleco and Hasbro mass-market Cabbage Patch Kids. Also, I am no expert nor do I claim to be. Information on this site has been collected from numerous sources. See my information tab.

Tsukuda Elegance Dress

Cabbage Patch Kids that were made in Japan exclusively for the Japanese market had very unique outfits. One of my favorites is the Elegance Line dresses. Here is a picture of some original Tsukuda Elegance Dresses.Tsukuda Elegance Dresses
I wanted to make my own because they are so rare, I haven’t been able to find any like this. Just by going off of this photo, I made my own:
Handmade Tsukuda Look-Alike Elegance Dress


I used the Pattern Butterick 6509 and changed it a bit. I drafted my own collar for it, made the bodice a little longer (about 1/2"), and used a 22.5”x 8” piece for the skirt. I used 3/8” ribbon. I sewed a zipper in the back.
Here are some pictures of my progress:
Sleeve
Sleeve
Sleeve
Casing for the sleeve
Sleeve
Elastic in the sleeve
Sleeve
Sleeve
Sewing the sleeve onto the bodice
Sewing the sleeve onto the bodice
Collar
Basting the lace on the colar
Collar
Both collar pieces right sides together
Collar
I used a strip of the same fabric to make bias tape to go around the collar after I basted the collar to the bodice.
IMG_5741
Skirt
IMG_5742
Dress so far
Dress so far
Back Edge of Dress
Back Edge of Dress. I folded over both sides of the dress 1/2”, pressed, then basted the sides right sides together, then basted the zipper on. The zipper was tricky because the dress is so small. I had the dress right side out and basted the zipper from the inside of the dress. I wish I’d taken a picture of it while I did it. Then I flipped the dress inside out and sewed the zipper as it was unzipped.

What would have made this dress easier would be if I had put the ribbon on before sewing it together, and it would be better if I had put the zipper on before finishing the collar. That way I put the bias tape around the zipper top.

Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I get commissions for purchases made through links on this blog.