Please note that information on my blog is mainly pertaining to the 80s Coleco and Hasbro mass-market Cabbage Patch Kids. Also, I am no expert nor do I claim to be. Information on this site has been collected from numerous sources. See my information tab.

Getting ready to move, Trip to Dallas, and new pattern I’m working on

It’s been a while since I’ve updated my blog and added anything new to my Etsy shop. I figured it was time to let everybody know what’s been going on the past few months. 

My husband’s employer’s warehouse closed down and they wanted him to take a position halfway across the country. I was excited and started to pack things up and go through things to get rid of. I was anxious to sell our small house and move somewhere else, preferably a much larger house so I could have my own sewing room instead of using the bedroom. If anyone has ever moved, they know it is a LOT of work!  We had many, many projects that needed to be finished before we could list our house.  I started painting things that needed repainted and things that hadn’t been painted yet.  The to-do list seemed to go on forever.  Then in June his company flew me and my husband to the area to check it out. Before uprooting our entire family and moving to a place we’ve never been before, we wanted to make sure we would like the area. We live in a community of about 11,000 people. We are “small-town country folk.“  The population of the largest city in our area is over 200,000, an hour’s drive away. The new warehouse was in the Dallas Fortworth Metroplex—a population of about 7.5 million! When we got there, it was a huge culture shock. We drove for hours, trying to find a small community like ours.  We couldn’t find one nearby, and the traffic and roads were horrific. I thought that I would get used to it but the whole time, I was popping anti-anxiety pills. We were there for about a week. It was just too much for us so we decided not to take the position. This left my husband with no job and when he filed for unemployment, they denied it because they said he resigned. I’ve been trying to work on my patterns and work two part-time jobs at the same time.  Working 7 days a week leaves me exhausted. Then add all the housework on top of that, and it leaves me very little time and energy to work on my patterns. 

I don’t think people realize how much it takes to make a pattern. It takes a LOT of time and work!  First I have to find a similar pattern to go off of and draw out the pattern with the correct sizing.  I don’t have any pattern-making software—I use Photoshop. Then I have to actually make the outfit, taking photos after each step, then try it on the doll to make sure it fits. If I’m lucky and it fits the first time, I won’t have to make any adjustments. Otherwise, I have to make the adjustments on the pattern and make the outfit again, hoping it will fit. Once I get it right, I write the instructions, take lots of photos of the outfit, both by itself and on the doll. I also have to write a list of notions needed and how much fabric is needed, as well as draw out a layout of the patterns.  And if I’m making multiple sizes, I have to make multiple patterns and outfits.

With Covid-19 restrictions, where I normally shop (Joann’s Fabrics), they limited the hours and the amount of customers allowed in the store. Even when I go there, they have very limited product. Luckily, when I worked there a few years ago, I stocked up. Every time something went on clearance (thread, zippers, fabric) I bought it (whether I needed it or not.) At one point, I was going to sell it all, but I’m sure glad I didn’t!  90% of the time when I’m looking for fabric, I go to my shed and get it. If Joann’s nor I have it, I can usually find it on Etsy, but then I have to wait about a week for it to get here. 

Nevertheless, I’m really excited about the new patterns I’m working on. They are Cabbage Patch Kids sleepwear!  Three different outfits with three different sizes—preemie, full size, and TRU.

Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I get commissions for purchases made through links on this blog.