Please note that information on my blog is mainly pertaining to the 80s Coleco and Hasbro mass-market Cabbage Patch Kids. Also, I am no expert nor do I claim to be. Information on this site has been collected from numerous sources. See my information tab.

Etsy Shop Update

I recently had a harsh wake-up call when I went over my etsy and ebay budget for products I sell in my stores.  A while back I became a supplier for the Dolskin and Craft Velour fabric, and tallina's doll socks.  I was so excited when I'd get several hundred dollars in sales, thinking I was making good money.  Then I went over fees, shipping supply costs, etc.  For a $5 item, I'd be making maybe 50 cents, at most.  A $10 item might make me $1.  Then etsy had a "free shipping guarantee” where orders of $35 and over had free shipping.  So I might have a $50 order, making $5, then have to pay $10 in shipping, costing me $5.  

The airtex stuffing actually cost me money to sell it!   I had originally had it listed for $7.49 plus shipping, but many times people would take advantage of the Etsy free shipping for purchases over $35. Packing five bags of stuffing into one big box actually cost me about $35 because it was an oversized box. So I was receiving $37.45, then paid $35 shipping, plus the cost of goods and fees. So I decided to raise the price and offer free shipping all times for that listing. It was listed for $14.99 with free shipping, while shipping often costs over $6. The product and cost of my own bags and labels to package and ship, plus selling fees, was over $10. So even though I raised the price, I was still losing money. So I ended up changing the amount to 6oz instead of 12 oz rather than raising the price. 

For the other items, I had to raise some prices and discontinue the free shipping.  I have decided that the physical goods are not worth having in my store.  They don't bring in enough money and they are time-consuming to package up for the small amount of money they bring in, if any.

It’s really sad when my customers are paying $15 including shipping, but I’m lucky if I see even $1 of that. Big companies that sell thousands of products a day can afford free shipping because they receive an enormous discount on shipping. When my husband worked for a company in the shipping department, he’d ship large boxes every day that would normally cost me or you $50-$100, but would only cost him $5 at most.  I don’t receive that discount because I don’t ship enough packages to qualify.

I posted a poll asking people if they would buy directly from my website and only one person responded. So unfortunately, once the socks, fabric, elastic, and stuffing run out of stock, I might not be supplying anymore.  

In the chart above, it shows my Esty sales versus my profit. Most of the profit is from digital goods.  I hope that this post will help to bring awareness to customers who buy on etsy and ebay, that home-based sellers are not making much money on these listings. You may see an item that you think it outrageously priced, but the seller is not seeing that amount of money. They may be breaking even. The rule of thumb used to be to double the price of cost of goods in order to make money, but with everything getting so expensive—gas to take the packages to the post office, cost of packaging and labeling, selling fees, etc.—the price needs to be triple or even quadruple. 


Find all my patterns and doll-making supplies on etsy.com/shop/cpkdiana. Follow me on all my platforms: ✅https://www.instagram.com/cpkdiana/facebook.com/cpkdianaetsy.com/shop/cpkdianahttps://www.ebay.com/usr/cpkdianahttps://www.youtube.com/cpkdianacpkcpkdiana.blogspot.com

Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I get commissions for purchases made through links on this blog.