Please note that information on my blog is mainly pertaining to the 80s Coleco and Hasbro mass-market Cabbage Patch Kids. Also, I am no expert nor do I claim to be. Information on this site has been collected from numerous sources. See my information tab.

Norma Jean Soft Sculpture Cabbage Patch Kid Outfit Pattern


Several years ago I came across the Cabbage Patch Kids
Videos.  My favorite character was Norma Jean.
Apparently, many others have her as a favorite.  CPK made a soft sculpture version in 1994.



Then Mattel made a Norma Jean doll in 1998.


Well, I acquired a cute little toddler boy from 1994 and really wanted to make him into a Norma Jean doll. So.... that's what I did!

I made up the dress pattern to look most like the gingham dress that Norma Jean was wearing during The Audition. I didn't have any blue gingham and couldn't find any at my local stores. I already had the purple gingham and I love purple anyway, so I decided to go with that. I added a purple rose to the collar and ribbon on each sleeve and on the skirt. I also used crocheted trim on the sleeves, collar, and skirt. I think it came out pretty darn cute, if I don't say so myself. (While I was placing her on the bed, my husband thought it was funny and wanted to get a picture of me "playing with my dolls." I sure love my husband--he's so supportive of me in all my hobbies.)
Anyway, I found the glasses and shoes at Joann's and used the socks that came with the toddler boy.


I cut off the hair and made my own yarn hair for her. I used a 12x12" piece of cardstock and wrapped the Red Heart lemon yarn around, then taped one of the ends and cut the other.  Then I stitched down the center near the tape, using a backstitch.  I then handstitched it on.

If you're interested in the dress pattern, it's available on Etsy and eBay.  It is sized to fit a 1994 soft sculpture 16" doll.  It can also fit a Coleco Preemie doll, but the skirt will need shortened because their legs are much shorter.








Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I get commissions for purchases made through links on this blog.