Please note that information on my blog is mainly pertaining to the 80s Coleco and Hasbro mass-market Cabbage Patch Kids. Also, I am no expert nor do I claim to be. Information on this site has been collected from numerous sources. See my information tab.

Rainbow Brite Outfit Pattern For Cabbage Patch Kids

Years ago, I made a custom cabbage patch kid as Rainbow Brite.  I drafted a pattern for the outfit, then lost it several months afterwards.  Since then, I’ve been asked by many for the pattern.  So I drafted another pattern starting from scratch and finally finished it.  It took me over 3 years to finally finish, as things kept coming up and jobs got in the way.





I've made the pattern available to purchase on etsy as a pdf download and paper pattern, and eBay as a paper pattern.

For the colored fabric, use solid cotton fabric, such as Kona Quilt Solids.
For the outfit, you will need:
· 1 1/4 yard blue fabric
· ½ yard red fabric
· ¼ yard yellow, lavender, and green fabric
· 2/3 yard white fluffy fabric like Soft N Minky.--(unless you fold selvage to selvage, then you will need 7/8 yard)
· 1/8 yard yellow fleece or broadcloth
· 1/4 yard fusible interfacing and double-sided fusible fleece

Notions:
· ¼” elastic
· 3 red buttons or heart appliqués (3/8”)
· *6 star appliqués (1”)--free to download the embroidery design
· *Rainbow appliqué--free to download the embroidery design
· ½” wide hook and loop Velcro
· Polyfil Stuffing
· Hemostat or something similar for stuffing
· Small safety pin, needle, matching thread.

If doing the hair and face:

· skein yellow yarn
· paint: lavender, white, black
· 3/0 Round paint brush, 10/0 paint brush
· long yarn needle
· needle nose pliers
· 1/2” wide lavender or rainbow ribbon

Tip: If you have the doll that you are making this outfit for, it is highly recommended to fit on the doll as you go along, adjusting pieces as needed. When drafting the pieces, I was using a “fat” doll from the OK factory, so it may be a little big for other dolls.

Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I get commissions for purchases made through links on this blog.